Wednesday, August 4, 2010

This Campaign Isn't About Money



Everything human-made started in someone's imagination. Your car, the street and the lamps that light it, the song on the radio - all started as thought, dream, idea. It seems like magic that the world runs so smoothly, given how intricate each of these things are. But behind every creation is an imagination. And behind every imagination is a person - or community of people - willing to believe in it.

Lately it seems that all I've talked about is money; how much we've raised, how much we need. The money is crucially important because it will open doors that will make incredible things possible. And I'm so grateful that 86 of you so far have given your own personal money to help see this through.

But this campaign is not about money. I met with Dan in February with a few songs and the vision of making a record that we could be proud of. As things progressed, we realized that we were onto something really special; that this was ready for a bigger audience. We set the goal of bringing the most brilliant team together to help us promote the album. Because I don't yet have a record label, a sugar mama, or a treasure map, I turned to you, my fans and supporters, to help me get there. And we've already raised almost $3,000 in just 3 weeks.

We're about 1/5 of the way to our goal, and some have suggested that it's too lofty, that this is a tough time to be asking for money because of the economy, etc. And I'll agree with them on one thing: If this campaign were just about raising money, it would be the wrong time. But no matter what is going on in the world, our imaginations and our dreams are the most powerful gifts we have. And I know that if we can make music that will raise peoples' spirits, this money will raise itself.

That said, I hope you'll watch the video above - this was the encore from my "Masking the Mirror" album release concert in 2008, and I was on stage with several good friends. The room was small, hot, and packed, and you can tell that we were living in the moment just as much as the audience that night. This video does more than any amount of words to explain why I love what I do.

The future is open and brimming with possibility, for all of us. Thank you for believing in mine.

J. Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment