Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So Long, Ol' Yellow



Today I have to retire a piece of carry-on that has stayed close to my heart (and my back) for more than five years.

Those of you who have have put me up at your house at any point dating back to the Storrow Band days have probably seen my trusty yellow backpack. I bought it for $5 at a drugstore in 2005 because I spilled something in my old one (I can't even remember what - lemonade?)- so I bought this cheap backpack, expecting it to fall apart the next day, but to my surprise and pleasure it stood the test of time, transporting my closest personal belongings- toiletries, laptop, guitar strings, and cell phone charger - across the country and even the world. It wandered through Times Square with me, went to the top of the space needle in Seattle, sat by the banks of the sea of Galilee in Israel, and hung out backstage with the groupies at the Fillmore in San Francisco. This backpack had a good life. I came to love and rely on it so much that even when I was off the road, I'd keep it in my car, just in case I should need a granola bar, nasal spray, or an emergency guitar string while hanging out with friends.

Yesterday, in Toronto, I took the backpack out of the car and found that the bottom has torn to the point where my laptop was barely hanging on for dear life. So, I guess it's time to lay this little guy to rest. I'm honestly getting a little choked up right now. If any of you have any memories of this backpack that you'd like to share, please feel free to do so below. Thanks, ol' yellow, for always having my back.

1 comment:

  1. Poor little yellow bag.. I have seen it, touch it, and even organized it once.. it served you well... just goes to show you that it's not about how much it cost it was about what you put into it..

    ReplyDelete