Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Universe Smiles

Last night in Baltimore, I found out at the last moment that they wouldn't have a piano at the venue. I've been doing about half of my set every night on piano, so I was disappointed to hear this, but a little voice in the back of my mind said don't worry. I made it to Baltimore, lugged my baggage from the train station down to a local Starbucks, and created a new setlist involving only songs I was prepared to play on the guitar, but the little voice in the back of my head was saying doing worry. I met up with a friend of mine who drove me to the venue and I looked at the empty stage area, imagining a keyboard there. That little voice, don't worry. Eventually, it was show time. I put on my red Sanuks and looked at the stage. Still no keyboard. I took a deep breath, went up, and played my heart out on the guitar.

I took a break between my two sets, and was talking with a guy who had come for the show. "You're a great multi-instrumentalist," he said, referring to the guitar and harmonica.

"You should see me when I have a piano," I said.

"You need one?" said the guy. "My friend owns a recording studio and I think he's there now. Maybe he has something you can borrow for your second show."

"Where's the studio," I asked?

"Directly upstairs," the guy said.

Five minutes later, this guy walks in with an electric piano and sets it up on stage in front of me. A red one; it even matched my show shoes. I was in piano heaven for the rest of the night.

The universe smiles. I've got your back. Don't worry.

1 comment: