Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Jolt

I'd felt it any time I've looked at the New York City skyline - That tiny electric hand squeezing the center of my heart. It happens when you see something that your heart knows is beyond your mind's ability to comprehend. Like that message that pops up on your computer to tell you that you're using more memory than the computer has. The jolt can come from something or someone beautiful, but it goes beyond beauty. It's about magnitude, totality. Awe. If I ever see a girl who gives me the jolt, I'd be a fool not to approach her. I'd always wanted to feel it in Los Angeles, but you can't force these things.

My friend and I were talking at dinner recently about how, when you tell people in other cities that you live in LA, they often say "I'm sorry to hear that", or something douchey like that. (They usually continue on to talk about the latest episode of some TV show that was conceived, written, and filmed here). Angelinos are constantly being programmed to think we're missing something if I we like where we live. But you know what? I'm a well educated, well-traveled, intelligent, creative, astute human being. And I like it here. A lot.

I was driving back from Phoenix yesterday afternoon and drove past downtown LA, on the 10 West. As usual, I made my way around, admiring the cityscape. No jolt. Then I caught the Hollywood sign out of the corner of my eye, and my heart stopped. I'd seen it hundreds of times before. But never accompanied by this pang of electricity.

Yes! the jolt said, in response to an unasked question. The answer is yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment