Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Nervous

I'm getting excited (and a little nervous) for my tour dates back east, which makes me think I’m doing something right. Taking risks again, getting ready to put it all out there in a few cities I've never performed in. New York City. Baltimore. Charlottesville.

I had a mentor who used to say that if you were very nervous about something, you probably weren't prepared, if you weren't nervous at all, you probably weren't challenging yourself enough, but if you were just a little bit nervous, you were probably ready. I like to feel a tiny tingle of nerves before I go onstage or head out on a tour. It keeps things live and interesting, and it keeps me focussed. I also think an audience would rather see a real, vulnerable person than someone pretending to be unbreakable. Having said that, it took me a long time and a lot of failure on stage to get to a point where I can be confident enough to enjoy the nervousness. Part of it, I believe, comes from knowing that, no matter how long I do this, I'm going to take risks - and fail - again. I'm also going to succeed and break through again on stage in ways I never anticipated. In the end, it's not the result - but the challenge - that keeps my heart beating just a little faster.

PS - Cut my own hair today...still haven't found a barber I like in LA. See below.

No comments:

Post a Comment