Monday, November 22, 2010

Do Something by Candlelight

I've started showering by candlelight. It's my own little romantic gesture to myself, and it's also a way of returning to a simpler time. I know, the first thing you're asking yourself. How far back in time can you really go while still enjoying the modern luxury of a hot shower? In fact, the Greeks invented the shower, complete with plumbing, in 4 B.C. Now you know.

Aside from time travel, I suppose my candlelight showers are also my own little rebellion against the new 'efficient light bulb' revolution. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we're creating more energy efficient light bulbs - I just wish they didn't bathe my living room in the same fluorescent radiance as the clearance section of Marshall's.

So, for five-to-seven minutes every day, I close the door (my bathroom is windowless), and use one of my 40,000 matches to light tea-light candles in my bathroom, and bathe in a light that feels half-renaissance, half Cinemax late-night special. I joke, but really, try picking one thing every day to do by candlelight, even for five minutes, and see how quickly it changes the quality of your life. Change the light, and your perspective changes. Change your perspective, and...

No comments:

Post a Comment