Monday, September 5, 2011

Music in the Moment

There's a moment in G. Love's song "The Hustle" (1:18 into the song) where he starts to play a harmonica solo, pauses for a second, and then laughs and says, "damn." If you play harmonica, you'll recognize that he'd accidentally had his harmonica upside down. It's one of my favorite moments in recorded music, because it's so real. You can feel the music living in the moment. I wonder if they talked about recording it again before deciding to just use the version with the flub on it. Part of me hopes they didn't even debate it.

I was going to take a break halfway through the set last night in Hollywood, but ended up playing for 2 and a half hours straight, and included a few songs that I hadn't played for a long time. We had a great audience, and I just kept going. It was music in the moment, exactly the way it's meant to be played.

No comments:

Post a Comment