Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Just Keep Going

Click here to listen to me read this blog entry out loud :)

I'll never forget my first solo performance. As part of her Bat Mitzvah celebration, my friend Carly organized a talent show. I had just learned some new chords and written a song earlier that day, and, rather than playing one of the songs I had been practicing, I decided I'd attempt not only to get on stage for the first time, but to play a brand new song as well (go big or go home, right?!). I remember arriving with my little red electric guitar and seeing a girl I thought was cute, but didn't have the guts to talk to. Just wait until she hears me play, I thought.

I got onstage and completely bombed - I couldn't remember a single note of the song I'd written. And yet, as I exited stage-left after mumbling apologies to 130 family friends and avoiding eye contact with the cute girl, I still felt this rush throughout my body, and one single thought: "I've got to do that again." (I also thought I should probably practice next time). And, of course, I did get back up and do it again- about 700 times. And every time it gets better.

Persistence has become one of the most important themes of my career. It has seen me through failures, successes, and milestones. I have never regretted being persistent, regardless of the outcome. If you think it sounds cliche - you're damn right it is. All lasting cliches have withstood the test of time for good reason. My parents used to tell me to "Just Keep Going" when things got rough. "You're always closer than you may think," they'd say. My dad is still quick to remind me of this, and I love him for it.

As many of you know, last year I launched a "Listener Supported" campaign to raise the money to produce and release a new album independently. We came close to the goal, and I ended up being able to record the "Leave the Light On" EP (five songs). Over the last year, however, I've quietly continued working to finish the full album we originally set out to create. Last month, we were able to do just that, and I'm happy to announce to you that California Songs will be released online/worldwide on June 28th.

Next Tuesday, we'll be releasing the first single from the album, entitled "When It's Time", (which happens to go well with the theme of this email - booyah!). You can preview the new single online here. The second single, "California Song" will be coming out on June 7th.

I couldn't have done this without you. Thank you so much for having my back, cheering me on, and giving me the courage to just keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment